Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 21 Raw - Fast Completely Broken

Well, I "did dun it now". I was feeling so awful yesterday, that hubs and I made an executive decision to break the fast an start right back to an all raw diet. I told hubs that he didn't have to break his fast, but he did, anyway. He probably figured it would be pretty tempting watching me eat all the raw goodness and goodies, while he does nothing but sip juices.

As SOON as I broke the fast (ate a banana...then later ate a very simple raw green salad), I felt a billion times better. No joke. I went from wanting to lay down and die to feeling good enough to go out and have a good time that evening. Both hubs and I were actually commenting that we almost felt euphoric after eating real food again - it was pretty amazing.

Today, I am doing okay. I think I'm catching my children's little cold that they've passed to each other, as my throat is KILLING me and I feel extremely lethargic again. It's a different kind of lethargy than I felt yesterday, though. I feel crummy, but I was at least functional, and was able to get some work done (yes, I'll work on weekends, mostly from home, though). Yesterday, prior to breaking the fast, it was like my body just completely shut down. It appears my body was simply not ready for a full-on juice fast, so we're putting that plan on hold until I can detox a little more slowly on raw food.

We went to Central Market and I bought a bunch of Medjool dates - yum, my fav!! They tasted soooooo sweet today (I ate four in a row and nearly made myself sick, but they were oooooh, so good!). Actually, everything I ate today tasted fantastic. If there was any benefit of the fast that I can see, it's that it increased my appreciation for simple, raw, fresh food. I was chuckling to hubs that a month ago it would have sounded crazy that eating raw food would feel like a luxury, but it does after that horrible fast.

Don't get me wrong - I think juice fasting is fantastic for some people. Just not for me...not right now, anyhow. I'm thinking about redoing a juice fast later, perhaps if I really plateau in my weight loss, or feel I can't get past a certain point and feel as though the fast might shake it loose. Perhaps I'll do it closer to my goal weight, as in June or July.

Hubs still has the scale hidden, which is just as well, since I'm sure I probably instantly gained back all of the 1.8 lbs I lost. :D We agreed to weigh once a week, and that's IT. No more obsessing over it on a daily basis, which I told myself I wasn't going to do on this journey in the first place (and look at how well I did...NOT!).

I have to say that I feel good about the decision to break the fast, and I feel it was for the best. Who knows? Maybe even five days of the fast did something good for me. I can't think of anything good about it right now, but that doesn't mean something didn't come of it. (As you can see, my outlook has changed dramatically, since yesterday!)

I'm feeling fairly exhausted, so it's time to go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment